Welcome Home

The title of this blog comes from the words of Indian Prime Minister Nehru after the passing of Mahatma Gandhi. "The light that shone in this land was no ordinary light," Nehru said of the peaceful modern saint. The name of this blog, which chronicles my journey deeper into Spirit, is to remind us that there is no such thing as an ordinary light. The spiritual scriptures of many traditions such as the Bible, the Vedas, the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, the Koran and others all tell us that God is Light and so are we. It is the essence of who we are as a universe. Turn on your inner glow and shine it like a search light across the darkness of the world. We are the stuff of suns and stars.
We are no ordinary lights.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Butterfly



One day walking in Rishikesh, a car slowly passed me.  I noticed a butterfly stuck on the car, one wing having been caught in the hood, the other flapping wildly to free itself.  I gestured to the driver to stop the car, but he refused.  So I stepped in front of his car.   I felt the struggle in this butterfly’s being and knew it deserved a chance at a peaceful death without fear and hopelessness no less than I.  I put up my hand and forcefully shouted “Stop!”  He stopped, but refused to open the hood of the car.  I gestured to the butterfly.  He shrugged.  I would not budge.  “Open the hood!” I demanded, and he finally gave in.  I expected a broken and shattered wing and a butterfly that would only have a few moments to live.  Instead, two whole and complete wings flew with determination.  The butterfly appeared totally fine.  I could not believe it.  Pinned a second before, it was now flying with grace and ease.  It was a miracle to me.  Do not resign yourself to just recuperating from trauma.  When you find yourself out of a hopeless and painful situation, fly with passion and determination as if you’ve never been touched.  Let the past go, let the pain stay where it was.  Take nothing with you but the miracle of flight and the beauty of who you really are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment